Mrs. Beazley's Ratatouille
When our gardens were busy producing an abundance of zucchini & tomatoes one summer we developed this recipe as a side dish to our fritattas. It was so well received we continued to serve it year round as Californians are always blessed with fresh vegetables in our markets.
- 4-5 small zucchini & yellow crook neck squash, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 8-12 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- eggplant (optional), chopped
- 1-2 tsp. of Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. granulated onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (for sautéing)
- 1-2 oz. feta cheese (crumbled)
Chop all vegetables into cubes to roughly the same size. Heat a large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and heat till shimmering.
Add chopped vegetables except the tomatoes to hot pan and sprinkle with seasonings. Sauté all just until crisp tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and continue cooking just until soft. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Pour into serving plate & sprinkle feta cheese over vegetables. Serve immediately.
Garnish with cherry tomatoes or minced sun-dried tomatoes & fresh basil if desired.
*Serving Suggestion: Serve with a poached egg on top and some good, crusty bread for a full breakfast. ￼